4 Essential Things You Need to Do Once Your Spouse Visa has been Approved

4 Essential Things You Need to Do Once Your Spouse Visa has been Approved
February 23, 2017 888

4 Essential Things You Need to Do Once Your Spouse Visa has been Approved

Congratulations, your visa has been approved, and you can now move to Australia. However, now there are new challenges to face that once overcome will allow you to begin to integrate into Australian life. Here are four essential things that you will need to do as soon as possible after arriving here.

1. Apply for Your Tax File Number

A Tax File Number (TFN) is essential, and you will need this before you can receive an income in Australia. An income can be from a variety of sources, such as a job, government payments, investments and interest from savings accounts. The Australian Taxation Office can send you a TFN application upon request or f it is more convenient you can apply for a TFN on the internet.

2. Medicare Registration

The Australian government has a scheme called Medicare which provides a basic level of help with medical expenses. If you are eligible for Medicare, you can gain access to health care services, such as public hospital care at no charge, subsidised medicines and help with out of hospital care. To enrol, go to a Medicare office within 7 – 10 days of your arrival and have your passport and travel documents with you. Please be aware; Medicare does not cover dental care, optical care, and ambulance services, so additional coverage from private health insurance is necessary.

3. Open a Bank Account

If you have successfully completed an Australian immigration spouse visa, you will need a bank account. Most income and any government benefits are paid into a bank account directly. It is advisable to open a bank account within six weeks of arriving in Australia, and you will only need a passport for identification purposes. If you wait longer than six weeks, you will need additional identification to prove your identity.

4. Apply for a Driver’s Licence

If you have a permanent resident visa and have a current driver’s licence in the English language from another country, you can drive on Australian roads for up to 3 months after your arrival. After this period you will need an Australian driving licence, this will require you to pass a knowledge test, a driving test, and an eyesight test. Driving licences in Australia are issued by your state and territory governments.

If they need help to apply for a spouse visa, Australia based applicants should contact us here at 888 Migration Services. We are experts on all aspects of immigration and the visa application process. Contact us for more information, and we will be happy to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Need Professional Help With The Application Process?

The Visa application process is difficult. It is common for self-prepared applications to get rejected. We know how important it is that your application is approved and we are here to make sure that it does.

If you would like to have your application managed by experts who can get you the best outcome, then call 888 Migration Services and talk with us about how we can help.

Call 1300 94 23 94

Get A Consultation

Alternatively you can get our information pack.

Request Our Information Pack