Australian Partner Visa Options

Australian Partner Visa Options
December 29, 2016 888

Australian Partner Visa Options

If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, you may have considered whether you would be eligible for a partner visa. For many the prospect of applying for a partner visa in Australia can be overwhelming, as there are several qualification routes to determine whether you can qualify. Here we will explore the partner visa options, so you can see if you would qualify.

The Partner Visa Basics:

The main criteria to qualify for a partner visa is that you are married to, the fiancee of or are in a committed relationship with a citizen or permanent resident of Australia. In order to apply for a partner visa, you will need an Australian sponsor. This sponsor will need to provide a written statement which pledges to support you during your first two years living in Australia including financial assistance for accommodation and reasonable living needs. During the application process, your relationship will be assessed, and you will also be scrutinised for the health and character requirements documented by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Married Couples:

If you are married to an Australian citizen, you can apply on the basis of your marriage for a partner visa. In order to qualify, you need to be legally married, and if you were married overseas, you would need to have your marriage recognised as valid. Generally, marriages will be recognised under Australian law, but you will need to provide supporting documentation.

Common Law Couples:

If you are in a de facto or common law relationship, you may qualify for a partner visa. Generally, you will need to have been in your de facto relationship with your partner for twelve months immediately prior to you lodging your application.

Same Sex Couples:

If you are in a same sex relationship, you may also qualify for a partner visa. You need to be at least eighteen years old and show that your relationship is a mutual commitment excluding all others. You will also need to meet the twelve month interdependent relationship requirement as above.

Engaged Couples:

If you are engaged, you may qualify for a Prospective Marriage Visa. This is a temporary visa, which is valid for nine months. The visa allows for you to enter the country as a fiancee to marry your sponsor during the validity period for the visa. You will need to demonstrate that your relationship is genuine and that there are no impediments to your marriage such as being free to marry and that the marriage will be recognised under Australian law. You will also need to show that you know your intended spouse and that you met as adults. This applies even if it is to be an arranged marriage. You will also need to meet the health and character requirements.

If you are thinking of lodging a partner visa application, Australia immigrations 888 Migration can help. We would be delighted to guide you through the partner visa application process and answer any queries or queries you may have.

Need Professional Help With The Application Process?

The Visa application process is difficult. It is common for self-prepared applications to get rejected. We know how important it is that your application is approved and we are here to make sure that it does.

If you would like to have your application managed by experts who can get you the best outcome, then call 888 Migration Services and talk with us about how we can help.

Call 1300 94 23 94

Get A Consultation

Alternatively you can get our information pack.

Request Our Information Pack