Could a Partner Visa 820 or Visa Subclass 309 Allow You to Stay in Australia?

Could a Partner Visa 820 or Visa Subclass 309 Allow You to Stay in Australia?
May 28, 2015 888

Could a Partner Visa 820 or Visa Subclass 309 Allow You to Stay in Australia?

If you have a relationship with an Australian partner and wish to stay in Australia, it may be possible to qualify for a temporary subclass 820 visa or partner visa 309. If you are in a de facto relationship or married to a permanent resident or Australian citizen, one of these visas could allow you to stay.

The Partner Visa 820 or Visa Subclass 309:

This is a temporary partner visa, with the partner 820 visa referring to onshore and the visa subclass 309 referring to offshore applicants. This type of visa allows you to remain with your partner in Australia. It can also provide a pathway for permanent residency. Should your relationship still be continuing and genuine after two years, you may be granted an 801 or 100 permanent visa.

The partner visa 309 or 820 allows you to work or study in Australia. However, you will not have access for government tertiary study funding. You may also enroll in hospital care and medical benefit expense schemes such as Medicare.

The Visa Subclass 309/820 Application Process:

It is possible to apply for a temporary and a permanent visa with one application. If you meet the legal criteria for the visa subclass 309 or the subclass 820 visa, you may be granted a temporary visa. This visa will generally remain valid for two years or until a decision is made regarding your eligibility for a permanent partner visa. In some cases, you may not have to wait the full two years for a permanent visa, if you have been married or in a de facto relationship for three or more years, or you have been in your relationship for two years and there is a dependent child resulting from your relationship. Additionally, you may be granted a permanent visa if you partner or spouse was granted a Protection visa under the humanitarian program, and your relationship was in place was declared before the visa was granted.

Seeking Professional Help

Applying for any visa can be a complex and time consuming process. Unfortunately, many applications are denied simply due to administration or filing errors. However, it is possible to reduce this risk by consulting a professional immigration specialist. Immigration specialists are intimately familiar with the process of applying and the requirements for the visa subclass 309/820. They will be able to assist you in determining whether the partner 820 visa or the partner 309 visa is the correct route for your particular circumstances. They can assist you with all aspects of the application paperwork, from filling in the initial application through to organising your paperwork and assisting you with setting up your new life in Australia should your visa be granted.

If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident and are considering applying for a visa subclass 309 or 820, contact us. We are a specialist immigration agency and our experienced team of advisors would be delighted to answer any questions or queries you may have.

Need Professional Help With The Application Process?

The Visa application process is difficult. It is common for self-prepared applications to get rejected. We know how important it is that your application is approved and we are here to make sure that it does.

If you would like to have your application managed by experts who can get you the best outcome, then call 888 Migration Services and talk with us about how we can help.

Call 1300 94 23 94

Get A Consultation

Alternatively you can get our information pack.

Request Our Information Pack