What You Need to Know About the 461 Visa

What You Need to Know About the 461 Visa
May 29, 2015 888

What You Need to Know About the Subclass 461 Visa (New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa)

The visa subclass 461 or New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa has been specifically designed for New Zealand citizens who are or are about to become Australian residents. This visa may be used for New Zealand citizens who are ineligible to sponsor their foreign partner, spouse or fiance for permanent Australian residency.

Why is this Visa Necessary?

The Subclass 444 visa is a special temporary visa automatically granted to citizens or New Zealand wanting to live and work in Australia. However, foreign partners of New Zealand citizens do not have this automatic right. The 461 visa is designed to offer an equivalent. Unlike the 444, with the subclass 461 visa, Australia immigration requires certain requirements for eligibility. This allows for temporary resident status within Australia.

What Does this Visa Offer?

The main advantage of the visa subclass 461 is that it allows New Zealand citizens to sponsor a family member or partner to accompany you in Australia. The family member should usually live with you and be either your partner, your dependent child or another dependent relative. On granting of the visa subclass 461, your partner has the right to study, work and live for five years in Australia. It is also possible to use just one application to sponsor multiple eligible family members.

Do the Partnership Visa Requirements Apply?

In a similar way to the other partner subclass visas, you will still need to provide the Department of Immigration and Border Protection with evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing.  Your partner or eligible members of your family will also need to meet the same character and health requirements.

Do character and health requirements apply to this visa?

Yes. Your partner and/or eligible family members will need to meet the same health and character requirements as any other Australian partner visa application.

If you would like more information about the subclass 461 visa or an assessment on your eligibility, please contact a member of our migration team.

What Documentation Is Required?

Similar to other partner visas, when applying for a subclass 461 visa, Australia immigration requires supporting documentation. This will include certified copies of birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate and an Australian National Police Check certificate, if you have been in Australia for more than twelve months. You will also need to provide supporting documentation to demonstrate a genuine relationship. This includes birth certificates, marriage certificates, family tree details and other documentation showing an ongoing relationship. You will also need to provide a certified copy of the sponsor’s New Zealand passport and birth certificate.

If you are interested in learning more about the requirements and eligibility criteria for the 461 visa, contact us. We are immigration specialists and are familiar with all the current requirements for all forms of partner visa. We would be delighted to discuss your particular circumstances and advise the visa option best suited to your specific requirements. Our team of advisors would also be happy to answer any questions or queries you may have to assist you in qualifying for a visa and maintaining your relationship in Australia.

Need Professional Help With The Application Process?

The Visa application process is difficult. It is common for self-prepared applications to get rejected. We know how important it is that your application is approved and we are here to make sure that it does.

If you would like to have your application managed by experts who can get you the best outcome, then call 888 Migration Services and talk with us about how we can help.

Call 1300 94 23 94

Get A Consultation

Alternatively you can get our information pack.

Request Our Information Pack